Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Carla Hide Yo' Crazy

There are certain things I can't hide.

Tonight I met a friend from high school around town.  I hugged her, a few times, and decided I was so overcome with happiness I hugged her husband, too.  Afterwards, I was like, "Carla, tone it down."

Two days ago, the house painter and I shared stories, raising children in an over abundant society and education choices for kids.  While he was painting.  It took him 2 weeks to finish the trim on the house.  (It looks awesome and I'll totally give you his number.)

Out shopping one day I told a woman I thought the outfit she was trying on looked awesome on her.  She then shared with me every article she found and what a great deal she was getting. (And I left paying $30 for a $300 coat. Oh yeah!)

Last week I told my very conservative, older dental hygienist that she had a really nice figure.  (note: I did not say she was a "hot mama" or other nonsense words like that;)  She turned red and was a little embarrassed but shared her weight loss/health story with pride.  Then she told the dentist I had the cleanest teeth she had ever cleaned.  True story.  (My husband stares at me while I brush hoping to mimic my strategy. Also true story.)

I went to a Chinese medical doctor and he said I had too much fire.  A little too much Chi to be exact.(At that point, I said, "Well, shoot.  I could have told you that!" :). I had good energy but needed to relax.  (Ha! Imagine that.)

Every year for our termite inspection, we clear the schedule and brew a cup of coffee.  We sit and talk with our exterminator for hours.  He is a wonderful person.  He has a great pound cake recipe.  

I talk to people wherever I go, and find out life stories, laugh and talk really loud at times, and sometimes I snort, and then I get flushed, because I snorted.  My kids know when mommy says, "Five more minutes" she really means we will close the place down.  

There is a good story for every question.  No easy one sentence answer when it comes to me.  I can' t help it.  I was made to connect.  Well into my thirties, I make no apologies. It is what it is.  

My sweet introvert husband married an extrovert. We are perfect for each other.  I light the fire under his tail, he puts it out, and we end up leveling each other in a way only the Lord has in mind.  I tell him he is my human Chi leveler.  (Is there such a thing?)  He walks in the room and I breathe.  His testosterone presence balances us all.  He is wonderful, caring, loving, gentle, and strong.  

I haven't always felt that way about the balance.  When we were first married, someone told us that we would have a difficult marriage since Austin was laid back and I was, well, not so much.  Not what a woman should be.  (Say WHAT?  I know!)  I spent the first young year or so of our marriage trying to tone it down.  I tried to be different, quieter, less focused, goal setting, whatever.  It wasn't authentic me.  It wasn't fun.  And, it wasn't God's plan.  At almost 11 years, we haven't had a difficult marriage.  We genuinely love each other more than words can express.  And that's all that matters.  Love covers a multitude of sins. As we approach our anniversary in a few months, I am so thankful I love his introverted self as much as he loves my extroverted crazy.  

My prayer has been, Lord, take my crazy and use it.  Let me be a light for you. Confidently. Saying words that might help someone who needs connecting to the True Counselor.  May I spread your glory. Dredge out those parts of my personality that you deem unholy.  May your love spill off me so that those around me can't help but get wet.  



No comments:

Post a Comment