Sunday, April 28, 2013

Where Do You Sit?

Do you follow the rules? Today in church I decided to sit in the middle of the row. I refused to slide towards the end like they make you do. Seating rules. Stupid but I suppose necessary. Well I ended up sitting (in the middle) between a precious frat boy and a man with a bow tie. When the bow tie man sat down I told him I liked his Carolina blue attire, and we started taking. Fascinating man. Travels encouraging missionaries around the world. Has a house in the Dominican for this purpose. The music started and low and behold I was beside a man who didn't follow the chosen and frozen rules of church. This man sang. He hallelujahed. He danced. I *might* have tried to duet with him during a song or two. During the sermon, he interjected. He shouted here and there. He was awesome. He hugged me and I still smell like his cologne. Parting gift I suppose. He had a great story. He told me God had changed his heart. He was grateful. He didn't follow the cultural rules around us.

One time in church I also sat behind a big football player. Of which I said I am hating this, honey. Ugh. Can we move?? Can't see my preacher. (Spoiled rotten I am. There are not 1 but 3 screens I could have seen. Spoiled.) No worries. This broken guy had his head down most of the service wiping tears. Broken. Changed. Not following the cultural rules.

It's funny when I hear people talk about Christianity and rules. Why? Isn't the Bible a bunch of rules? It could seem that way. Sure. But when you meet Jesus, y'all, he's a good gracious rebel. He likes to dispel myths and make you broken to tears for his good glory. He even makes you want to read that book of rules turned love story. Even big football players who "should" act manly and walk with a swag are made low. And men who have seen their sin and his goodness and can't help but call out, dance, sing for his glory.

He's got big plans, I tell you. Setting your mind on things above sets you free from other people's concern for what you wear, what you do, what you drive and what you chew (as in food. I'm a poet and didn't even know it.) Getting connected to God- vertical sense- changes how you see things horizontally. He's wild. He's wild for you. I heard this on the radio as I typed- "My thirst for myself left me wanting more. I found myself face down on the floor."

What is filling your hole? Your desires? Because I've heard and experienced you can try to fill that place with lots of things. I believe it to be true, at least for me. Only he is wild enough. Only he can fill that place.

Where do you sit with him? I pray it's in the chair beside me. Because he's got a wild adventure for us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment