Sunday, April 14, 2013

Everyone Loves Him

This one is on my husband, again.  (And he approved this message.)  We went on our date and it was wonderful.  Used a gift card from Christmas, which makes the frugal gal in me happy happy happy.  Ironically the 5 things he said about me related to his weaknesses.  One of them was caring for he and the girls.  And then I told him he couldn't copy me.  That was mine, too.

Then this morning our pastor preached on serving one another.  He said that Jesus was the happiest person to ever live and he lived his life serving others and washing others feet.  He asked us to question our spouses once a day, "How can I serve you?"  It's counterculture.  It's counter-everything.  What's interesting is that my husband lives his life this way.  He always has as long as I have known him. 

And, a lot of lesbians love him, too.  I asked a couple of my friends why.  One said, "Because we like kind and gentle men who are secure in their masculinity without imposing it upon us.  I could see younger lesbians feeling safe becoming friends with him.  The fact that Austin is happily married is also a big factor in why they feel so comfortable becoming his friend."  I had to ask, because it happens all the time.  That's why I love him, too. 

When my oldest was a newborn and we actually made it to church (glad no one told me life would get so much harder with 2:), she always needed feeding when the sermon was going on.  I went to nurse, missed communion, and then in the end could't find my husband. Angry (why can't he stay put so I can find him?), I found him, and my anger stopped.  You see he had been waiting near the church office and had set up a little communion station in a quiet place for me.  He took the baby, and I cried.  Lord, you blessed me with such a good man and I am so selfish.  I took communion that day and prayed for a changed heart.  

He is giving, sacrificing, and rarely complains.  He's wonderful.  Of course I am partial, but living with him is delightful.  He gives, I take.  Not quite. Actually, he gives, I bend the knee.  He is my mirror, showing selfishness, the yucky in my heart, and God's goodness, all the while.  And, although we possess different strengths.  I am his mirror.  I do some 50's housewife stuff that might make someone raise an eyebrow.  I don't have to.  I want to.  I want to pack his lunch, and dinner (he works so long), and iron his work clothes.  (Well, that's partly selfish.  I like to see the line in his shirt and pants as he leaves for the day.  Makes the perfectionist in me squeal with delight.  I am working on this.:)  I want to help him because his presence makes me love.  Love our Creator. 

Well, not all the time.  So, because my sacrificing is as natural as an oil and water mix, I pray for it.  And now, I will be asking that question daily, "How can I serve you?"  He will be asking it, too, thus says JD Greear.  

I was also reminded of the triangle analogy.  As we both desire God and move close to him, we in turn become closer together.  I can see this in our 11 years together.  Although our faith has waxed and waned, we've asked questions, we've gotten answers, we've gotten giant questions marks, and we hold hands when we pray still.  Because we stick together like glue.  Jesus glue.  

No comments:

Post a Comment