Sunday, April 21, 2013

Stereotypes...Busted

I absolutely love it when a stereotype is counteracted.  Friday I took a trip to my favorite homeschool store.  I was reflecting on the way how far I've come in the past year in my perceptions of homeschool.  I thought it was funny how I knew nothing about homeschool and very few people who actually did it.  I came into the year thinking what am I getting myself into but what the hey, here we go kinda attitude.  Well, don't you know the first book I saw staring at me when I opened the door to the Gathering Place (doesn't the name just sound like a big hug already?) was a book on soap making.  I begged and pleaded with God to let me please please please see someone in a denim jumper.  Or even just a long denim skirt.  I just needed that comic relief.  Fully appropriate ending to swing this first year adventure to a close.

Funny stuff these stereotypes, huh.  I have found there are so many different types of homeschooling mamas.  From the moms groups within our city to the ones I know most closely in my co op.  And then there are the Duggars on TV.  You have mamas from all kinds of backgrounds, socioeconomic classes, religious beliefs, mindsets.  The reasons for homeschool are just as varied as the families they represent.  I'm sure if you ask one of us, we won't be offended, and probably glad to share why we do it.  What I feared was bubbling my kids off.  What I found were mamas of all kinds wanting to open their kids minds up to the world.  I have not met a mama in a denim skirt. (And if I did I would hug her neck and say bless you for an answered prayer:) I have not met anyone who makes their own soap.  (Although I did go through a period where I made my own deodorant.  However the sweat rings in my armpits were, well, socially awkward, so I have since stopped.  I do however still make it in my mixer for my mama.  Who swears by it.  FYI.)  And I have met women who have the most interesting, loving, and world changing outlook on education.  And I'm thinking, hey Jack, let's put these women in the White House.  Very few of them actually educators in their past life.

It's been a big change.  Zigging when others are zagging.  Making a choice to homeschool rather than the expected public school.  Can I be honest here?  It is a big change. I am a braver woman for it.  I'm more courageous.  I have also lost a friend or two from our decision.  It's different.  And it's wonderful.  It's holistic. Blending my faith with knowledge with relationships with community.  Where does one end and the other begin?

My most important teaching, or living, job is introducing my kids to Jesus, the Life Giver.  They need to meet Him.  They can decide if they love Him.  Want to follow Him.  I earnestly and deeply pray they do.  But we need to give them a chance. And nurture them.  And love them.  And parent the best way we know how given the means we are given, covered in God's love and grace.

Your kids make you crazy sometimes?  Can I tell you something?  Now lean in and listen carefully here, I'm gonna whisper because, well, it's embarrassing.  Mine usually drive me crazy because they struggle with the same things I do.  And my strong feelings from their sin struggles reveal a lot more than just what they are struggling with.  Usually it's me, too.  Being with them far more than usual has plain old sanctified me in more ways than I can count.  As a matter of fact, we are a tad behind in our school work.  Why you ask?  Well, this mama learned when things got stressful and I was about to lose my cool, to close the book and call a recess.  I am not a super woman in that respect.  (In the gym, yes.  I will put on music and throw around weights and exercise my body and my alter ego Super Woman.  But, in real life.  Not so much.)  I know my buttons.  I know my sin.  I call it out.  I ask for forgiveness.  And I pray to change.  But knowing your weaknesses is half the battle.  It's called freedom letting God fight for you.  And the heart change is worth it in the end.

And if you ever find me in a long denim skirt or jumper, please gently take my hand and help me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment