Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Running a Marathon

I feel the need to clarify a few things. Don't know why. But think I need to. First of all, my kids. They're the best kids on earth (I'm partial, sure, but really it's the truth) and they can do naughty like other kids.  You will never hear the naughty. You will never hear me belittle them, or my husband or my family. I'm a strong, protective mama hen who has been entrusted with a family I will take someone down fighting for. I'm talking 5 shades of crazy Billy Blanks, Crossfit, and yes, Chi Running, take you down. (Is that all the sports adventures I've had?)  So we're not perfect, but flash forward several years I don't want to explain how or why I wrote something in this blog. They're children. I'm a fierce protector. Etc etc.

I also want to explain the term "gifted". I am sharing some details about homeschool I don't want taken a strange way. Every child is gifted because they are given to us by the Great Giver. Now, maybe one kid can do math faster, more accurately, whatever.  We must understand that, bravo, they've figured out how to excel in American schools.  It's really a culture in itself, and after working with "at risk" kids for a few years, I believe you teach them how to navigate, give them some tools, offer some help that perhaps they might not get at home, and yes, employ strategies that effectively work and don't waste time. It's not that simple, I know.  (And I won't begin to explain the pressure teachers are under.  It's so real it hurts.)  But it's a start. And it's better to reach some than none.  Anyway, bottom line, every kid is gifted and they can't be any other way. It's in their genetic makeup.

I'm not against public school, or any other school for at matter.  I love kids. I love teaching my girls.  I know them so well I can tell you when they will poop again.  Its one of my super powers. But let me tell you, I majorly underestimated where my oldest could go academically. We started the year with grammar, spelling, and writing curriculum we both were bored with.  So I bought the next step up. I pressed in. She bucked up and kept the steady pace I set before her. We have surpassed grade levels in her reading.  Plural. Levels.  We've ran and finished a marathon together this year.  It was not easy. I understand why people say they could never homeschool. Some days I thought maybe I really am crazy to be doing this.  It's worth it to me. Worth every painful boring lesson. (I should add that my requirements for curriculum were super strict. It had to be a balanced literacy program no gobble gook waste of time crap. But balanced, and painfully short. Kind of like Crossfit.  Short, painful and effective.  Excellent curriculum that hurts but focus honey this is worth it were almost done!)

I do not tell you this to flaunt my teaching,  her learning, our choice in curriculum, Homeschooling, or any of that. I tell you because I think it's common these days for parents to do a lot for their kids they are able and need to do themselves. I personally don't want my kids in my kitchen. I don't want them to make messes they clearly can't clean up and leave me stepping in jelly. It's faster for me to do it alone. And after a mom at dance class was floored my kids make their own lunches I wonder if my theory is true somewhat.  Backing up, challenging our kids to step it up and gently press in. They won't listen if we are militant. But step alongside them. Be their metronome, and be willing to adjust it as needed.  See their potential in the distant. Evaluate their strengths, weaknesses, and gear teaching of all aspects towards what they need. What will allow them to zoom. Knowing they have a safe place at home to fall, fail, get back up and try again. And yes, there to celebrate and encourage them clapping alongside as their proud coach. You did it!  You are amazing!  I knew you could and God has blessed you baby!

We have another marathon ahead of us next year. It's ok. I am led by my Guide and He's working through my children, too. We are caught up in His presence. He isn't done with any of us. I see it in my future. It's not college degrees for my girls, or homeschooling perfection, but it's heaven. It calls everyday.  I hear it clearly when I'm seeking, listening, following the rhythm of the pace he's set before me. I'm not afraid to run fast. Sometimes the best gains are met with blisters and a pool of sweat beneath you. And hopefully a shower. Showered in Gods sweet precious grace. Held by Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment