Saturday, May 25, 2013

It's Swimsuit Season

The other day at the beach I looked over at a 70 something year old woman with a faux denim bikini on and I told my friend, "I don't know her, but I love her." You see, she was older and had no fear. Looking at my friend's baby girl like she was the cutest thing ever all grandma style. No inhibitions. Just living and getting her tan on her precious belly. I love her.

My husband has a lot of responsibilities- work, raising girls in a world of muck, politics, fantasy baseball, keeping our four hermit crabs alive (fresh water for drinking, salt water for the gills, they love dried fruit, those cuties), etc. His number one (thus says me) is to keep me out of a string bikini in my older years. (He would say otherwise, but he's the head and I'm the neck.  The neck moves the head- Fav quote from My Big Fat Greek Wedding...) I would like to think I would fit the grandma part, all Kim Rogers (nod to Belks, my mama's favorite store) conservative and all. But I am about to approach another birthday. And each year I let loose a little more. Held by Jesus but flyin' that freak flag higher and higher, letting my hair down. Freedom. It's his job, partly, to keep me in check, you see.

From the get go, I must say we were feeling brave going on this trip. The mama and I are friends. The little girls, besties from school. The daddies, didn't know each other and we didn't know each others husbands. They asked, we came. End result- we are planning this sort of thing every year from now on. We had a blast. I guess you could say we're dating! Real butterflies in my stomach and all!

I told them I hid my freak flags and didn't let them fly in the sun kissed salt air. Because we know my love for the beach. Carla on best behavior to avoid getting kicked out y'all. And I always love making new friends. (Unless you are afraid of weirdos. An then we shouldn't even try to "date" cause things just come out with me.)

I want this blog to encourage. It's swim suit season and let me tell you regardless of your "size" (Abercrombie you stink. Big time), let go. Let go of the notion you don't look a certain way. Just let go. (Now, do keep your suit on. Please. Cause I've been to one of those beaches and its usually the ones that are older and have let their freak flags fly real real high that just let go.)

Wear that suit. Rock it. I learned a while back that you can iron clothes and look like a million dollas. So, iron out your wrinkled impression of yourself. Go for it. Let people talk if they need to. Stare. Put a little hitch in your get along just for entertainment purposes. Cause let me tell you, if you are feeling soft, maybe not liking your shape whatever that means, you are not going to have any more fun sitting by the side of the pool or the ocean under a cover up hoping things change. If you are around girls, other women, encourage them to do the same.

If he thinks you're wonderfully made, knitted together in your beautiful mama's womb, claim it. Rock it. Keep it real. You are awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment