Friday, May 17, 2013

Charlotte, You Did it to Me Again...

Today I watched Charlotte's Web on DVD with my girls.  Last month I had politely bowed out of reading the chapter with Charlotte dying.  I let my husband read those last few chapters with my her and had even skipped reading entirely some nights so it would fall on his night.  I knew I would cry.

Today I was feeling strong.  I tried really really hard.  I did.  My daughter sobbing.  Charlotte, Wilbur's best friend, died.  She had an egg sack she left behind.  Wilbur carefully and lovingly cared for those eggs.  He put all hope in the fact that he himself would live, and he would care for Charlotte's babies when they hatched.  His hope was in those eggs.  Well, if you remember, the eggs hatch.  And then they march march march, set sail on a web string and fly away.  Wilbur crying.  Why are they all leaving him?  That was not his plan!  He was already left by Charlotte...

So we're both crying and then hope comes in the form of three little spiders still left around, too tiny to fly away.  Wilbur promises to take care of them and even shares their mama's legacy with them.  Sets them up for their future, in the same doorway Charlotte lived.

In the end, it's narrated, "It's not often that someone comes along that's a true friend and a good writer."  

It's true.  And demonstrated more so with a week like I've had.  You see, I'm a part of a small group, community group, whatever it's called.  I love these people.  The women, they've seen me ugly cry.  I've only known most of them since November.  We meet weekly, have a Bible study time with the men, then have a sharing time with just us ladies.

Usually we all give our requests and leave for the week.  Well, I had something come up this week.  My stomach in knots.  My heart torn and knowing I needed prayer. I sent out a mid-week email- ladies, please pray.  I got immediate responses.  "Praying! I love you!" and "You're such an encouragement to me."  And "Thank you for asking us to pray!" And, "praying with you."

Did you catch that last one- Notice the slight but yet huge difference.  It wasn't said, "Praying for you." It was "Praying with you."  I am with you.  Alongside you.  You are not alone and we are praying with you for God to strengthen you and uphold you and establish you and to quiet your tummy.  We are with you.

I needed it.  I need it.  I need them.

We need each other.  We need community.  God's love is manifested with the lot of us who love him.  Working together, creatively, strong, faithfully and lovingly.

Our group is breaking up a bit.  One woman is moving away.  One is moving to be a part of another group.  We will always be tied to those hurrahs, and ugly cry prayer requests, and Lord please change me and my heart and make me alive in you.

And these women have written into my story. And we may be different in some aspects, but the only glue needed is Jesus.  And He's a really great Writer.  


No comments:

Post a Comment