Wednesday, October 23, 2013

It's Like You're My Mirror...

This, this is how I show my love for my husband.  He gets serenaded with Justin Timberlake, of whom he knows none of his songs.  He loves it.  Let me retype.  He loves my loud, soulful singing to him on a drop of a hat...

Mirrors by Justin Timberlake
It's like you're my mirror
My mirror staring back at me
I couldn't get any bigger
With anyone else beside of me
And now it's clear as this promise
That we're making two reflections into one
Cause it's like you're my mirror
My mirror staring back at me, staring back at me


My husband is my mirror but ironically he is not a thing like me personality-wise.  I'd like to say we are like that old couple that just mellows with each other with time.  Perhaps I've mellowed down a bit and he's become more of a people person.  But in reality, we are both ourselves- I get a little too hyper sometimes and he is too calm other times.   (I should note he might be more like a hopeful Ron Swanson in some aspects as he ages.  That's fine with me.  I love steak.)

It's like he's my mirror staring back at me, reflecting not just myself and allowing me to grow as a person, but showing me my sin.  Showing me when God is glorified.  The mirror is slanted upwards to heaven.  It reflects God's grace.  His goodness.  His love that binds us.  His gentle correction in my life.  We will never be completely like each other.  We weren't made for assimilation, but for glorification.  

If we just looked at each other's reflection, I'm convinced our love would shrivel.  I don't have eternal love to offer in a marriage.  I love the ways we work on our relationship but there's not enough wining and dining in the world to stop fights and fix things in our marriage.  I love date nights and getting away but you always come home to the same problems.  The triangular fashion God works on us is mysterious, profound, and inexplicable.  The love relationship with a God that connects us.  

I admire so many things about him and could list them.  Maybe I should, but the one thing that I appreciate most is the Holy Spirit's work in him at reflecting towards, pointing to, mirroring God in my life.  The focus is less on a good marriage and more on a forgiven marriage.  In Christ, we are more forgiven than ever imagined. 

So maybe we are two reflections made into one.  Made into One.  The One that holds us together.  
He is before all things and in Him all things are held together.  Colossians 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment