Monday, March 17, 2014

Save the Drama For Your Mama

I love the Words, "make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, mind your own business and work with your hands."  My husband plays life like a chess game.  He is also quite competitive and usually wins.  He also is the least "offended" person I know.  Water off a ducks back.  I try to slide on by not asking for things to happen.  Staying below the radar.

That being said, we are currently willing to invest in acres of land in a city we cannot pronounce or move in with my friend in Hawaii to escape the past few weeks of drama.  Decisions.  Stress.  Unlikely happenings.  (Ok, so my Hawaiian friend has not officially offered for us to come and live with her.  So let's not be assuming and just politely take Hawaii off the list. But if you are reading this, just know we are open to that possibility.)

So what do you do when drama finds you?  (Dr. Seuss is loose at the caboose.)  First of all, I would like to say that in my humble opinion you aren't truly living unless you have some drama in your life.  By drama, I mean differences, clashes of "preferences" (a term I think is a hugely positive spin on how we were created), or conflicts.  I could wrap my children with bubble wrap, bubble our house off from the world, create social situations where we only engage with those most like us, I really could.  I am a master whiz with bubble wrap and the latter plenty of folks have outlined for me. But clearly, none of us would be living. 

Back when I made money for what I did, those roads, they are littered with tension, conflict, annoyances.  I do not like tension.  I prefer to hug things out or clear avoid the person.  I employ both and each is effective in their own way for separate reasons, might I add.

My job back then was representing limited English speakers and I took my job seriously.  I fended for those children, I played mama when their mamas and daddies couldn't make it into the special celebration (they did the best they could but when you are paid by the hour, you need the money, period). I went on home visits.  I worked side-by-side teachers that loved these babies and sadly, I worked with some that would rather stick them in a corner. (No one needs to tell me how hard classroom teaching is- I extend grace.)

So already back then I learned some words I live by now, "Speak the truth in love even if your voice is quivering".  I also learned that I didn't sleep until I spoke those words. Then I learned not to question those words even if things became awkward for a short time.  I learned to deal with the drama, but certainly didn't ask for it, either. 

So you'd think we homeschool our children, we have a fairly peaceful existence, lets just keep it this way for a while.  Let's not rock the boat.  Well, let me tell you Jesus is in the business of letting boats get rocked.  He wants my children to see me pray my way through things.  He wants them to ask me questions with "I don't know" as the only answer I can give.  He pulls me through situations, relying on his Good Words to reveal that we are not flesh and bones but spiritual creatures, designed to let a Good Gracious God fight for us on the spiritual realm, and glorify him all the while.  He wants us to feel, experience, and return to our Center. 

If we end up buying land in the boondocks, and with our leftover money buy an RV to reside in, I'm not sure I would be happy.  (Those that know me know I am talkative and my family might introduce me to some wild animals to converse with because they would get tired of me talking as I get tired of myself talking.)  It turns out I'm most joyful with a God that allows these things to happen, pulls me through them, and takes me deeper with Him.  As a 30-something I am learning that I eagerly anticipate the drama I'm presented with, as it draws me in to Him, lets Him do the work, and allows me to take a proactive stance- Lord, give me more of you.  I'm like a tea bag boiling, baby.  The water gets hotter and I just get stronger. 

My past roads do have some litter along the side, but there are also some amazing houses.  Children uplifted, taught, grown.  Lives I had the privilege to watch being reconstructed.  Special relationships I have to this day.  Experience that will never be taken away from me.  Gems that reflect the light of His glory. 

So in the tunnel of drama, there is light at the end.  But there is also Light in the middle along the path.  And He has some really great stories to entertain as the roads get paved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment