Friday, December 6, 2013

Throwing my Weight Around

After my last post my husband gladly agreed to homeschool the girls this morning while I did some Christmas shopping. He is my best friend. I am his biggest fan. (I should add he also knows what a true Christmas blessing is- a sane and happy mama:)

Today I'm driving down 40 and something happened. I turn on my turn signal to merge, and all the little sedans moved completely out of my way. Mass exodus. So I keep driving and this phenomena keeps happening. The only thing I realize is husband is right- this thing called "truck respect" is a real thing indeed. A big truck is not a force to be reckoned with for real. (He usually smiles and the little boy comes out. Super cute if you ask me.)

Then I remember that huge UNC golf umbrella I got my freshman year of college. On rainy days I walked through the Quad with said umbrella (still kicking to this day thank you very much) and people moved completely out of my way. I might have used it even when it was faintly sprinkling. Because even back then I always crammed too much into my days and people move clear out of your way with a large umbrella. Change of classes in a big university? No prob. My umbrella had ALL of them!

Then I remembered this past Black Friday. How my mom and I always shop early. We stay in one store pretty much the entire day and saved more money than you could ever guess. (At lunch my mom looked me square in the eyes- "Honey, I may not have taught you how to cook or sew, but I sure enough taught you how to save money." Yes ma'am she did.) So after the fourth trip to the car to deliver more purchases, I rounded the corner and saw my friend.

Now let me explain this friend. She is super cute and beautiful. She also shares that feisty flair I also have and so we're friends. She and her husband had their kids with them, except she had mentioned something kindly to an older lady who didn't want to be crossed. They were exchanging words. It was getting heated.

And if you ask me, from my experience, elderly ladies are definitely not a force to be reckoned with. My money would have been on this friend though. Either way, I was in a position to either 1. Walk the other direction and ignore this confrontation or 2. Get involved.

You guessed it- I got right on in. Because if you ask me, friends help friends fight. So I walked up, made a motion to my body (running shoes with skinny jeans included- a statement I could only have pulled off on Black Friday). "You know, I'm not in my top shape. But I can throw my weight around real good. I got your back. Friends fight together."

So then they laugh (I was serious yo!) and the mood lightened and the older woman backed off. So I didn't need to flex my muscles or anything. But I was ready just in case. Always ready.

So this is what I'm wondering. This phenomena of throwing your weight around. Usually I think of bullies and people in some position of power.

Actually, I am in a position of power. Not the earthly one. I have no intentions of picking fights to get my way. But I've got God, the Holy Spirit, who isn't timid. He isn't afraid. He thinks my worries for the future are unwarranted because he has it taken care of.

I look around me and I know I humanize God. But I pray I will throw my weight, momentum, focus towards Him. Because energy, prayers, trust, communion spent towards God never comes up empty. Pressing on and fighting the good fight through prayer and powered by a good and gracious God.

No comments:

Post a Comment