Saturday, May 24, 2014

Rise Above

My mom has lots of sayings.  These identifiably southern beauties are from her many years of living.  I used to make fun of them with my sister but friends now I just chalk them ALL up to her wisdom because she has lived her truth well.  I'm packing 35 years y'all.  I genuinely understand things more because these sayings are tied to life experiences.  (It is worth noting I think she's the origin of my love for linguistic jazz.  Playing with words.)

Here are some of my favorites, and I make no promises about future blogs with these because they all have a story and are just down right awesome.

"Birds of a feather flock together." (This was originally from my grandmother who used this often.  We pass these things down like that in this family.  Essentially watch who you hang out with.)

"Well, that's his little red wagon and he's going to have to pull it."  (Consequences, friends.  There are consequences from our actions.)

"I didn't know him from Adam." (That's a good Southern one right there.)

"Different strokes for different folks." (Also an amazing 90's TV show.) 

"Nothing ventured nothing gained."  (She uses this one the most I think.  She is always venturing and trying new things.  She's a doer and does until success is reached.  Thankful for this quality.)

"He/she is skating on thin ice."  (Cautionary phrase.  She's a teacher.)

"People are different."  (Perhaps the most intellectual one but so appropriate when extending grace with things we don't understand.)

"In a pickle."  (Shakespere original.  Very helpful.)

"Well garden seed!!"  (Jesus loving curse words right there.)

"Mercy!!" (Again more of the above.  Used often.)

"Every barn needs a little paint."  (My grandfather used this one often.  It's so true whether you agree or not.)

"Glory be!" 

"For Pete's sake." (When something surprises her this comes out.)

"Walking on eggshells."  (Being careful with certain people are around as to not offend.)

"Your halo is slipping."  (When I did something growing up she'd say this as cautionary humor.)

"She's shining her halo."  (More angel humor for the one who is feeling oh so good about herself.)

"Don't air your dirty laundry."  (It's totally useless to air it dirty, as are careless words and random acts of making a stink of yourself.  Grace. Transparent grace, yes.  Waving freak flag, no.)

"I always was glad you saved your uglies for home."  (Meaning, I'm really glad you didn't get into trouble in school and I could handle your bad behavior at home.)  

One of my favorites has been when she has said to me, "Carla, rise above. You are going to have to rise above."
I need to tell you that I don't often like the situations that I explain before she says those wise words.  In my history of being a daughter, they've usually come from situations of pain.  Heartbreak.  They mostly always involve interpersonal relationships.  Her next comment is usually, "I want to beat them up for you."  Mute point here. (Amen if you're a mama or in a position of caring for another's soul.)

One of our favorite beaches is an island developed by a wise businessman. He purchased the entire island and began to sell the plots of land, one by one. In 1954, Hurricane Hazel came through the island and completely covered it sound to sea. Of the few homes that were there back then, his was the only one remaining after the storm.  In fact, it still stands there today.

He built his house on a hill.

The rains came down and the floods came up and his house on the hill stood firm. (Hand motions optional to those who know that one.)

His house is perched above the flood waters, intentionally built for protection from the storms.

I'm reminded of a friend going through a difficult time right now. She is facing some intense pressure she has to pray her way through.

I'm thinking of her wise words.  The way she greets Jesus first every morning.  The way she uses Scripture to fight for her.  I see her rising above.  I see her being mocked and yes, I want to beat them all up, but instead I pray.  I connect with her and I hear her heart.

Her rising above isn't belittling those around her. It's praying for her enemies.

It isn't expressed with sarcasm, that nasty form of pride that puffs up and pushes away, it's words of love.  Prayers of grace.

Rising above she understands she is not in control or knows the distant future.  It's intimately knowing a very good and all powerful God who sees and hears and knows.  He has a plan and she knows it is intended for good.

It's not her fighting with gloves on.  It's her wise words to me, "I am standing still and He fights for me."

Life is messy, and, well, God isn't done with us.  God sometimes steers us away from one path and into another.  He all the time is teaching us.  

Rising above looks like wisdom. It's remembering who holds your head up above the flood waters so your crown does not fall.  Rising above attracts you to people who support you in your path.  Rising above isn't just survival mode, you are in a position to thrive.  Be productive.  Glorify our Maker.  Watch with anticipation where He leads next.  

Royalty friends.  In Christ wearing his seal you are royalty.  Royalty acts wisely.  Royalty looks to the throne for confidence.

Royalty always rises above.  The floods are coming and so are my prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these wise words with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. God teaches me gently as I type and grow and connect and learn. He is so good.

      Delete