Wednesday, July 24, 2013

It's Story Time!

Sit back.  It's story time!!  One of my favorite childhood storybooks paraphrased, and yes, most adults, including myself, need to hear this.  Tune in...

Once upon a time there lived a village of little wooden people.  It was like most other towns except they had this strange habit of walking around giving each other stickers.  Those who were able to perform tricks, stunts, were beautiful or had mad skills were given a golden star sticker.  Amazing.  However, if you had no special skills, tricks, stunts, or were unattractive, you were given a large grey dot.  These stickers stuck forever and the more you had, the better, or worse, it was for you.

Well there was this little wooden boy, lets call him Jack.  He always got stuck with grey dots.  He could never figure out how to impress others.  He tried so very hard, failed every time and ended up crying himself to sleep at night.  Then, a strange thing happened.  He met a girl who had no stickers!  Unheard of!  He approached her and asked where her stickers were- was she a star or a grey loser?  She said people tried to give her stickers and they just didn't stick.

Jack, exhausted from trying to figure out the system, asked, "Why?"  She said, "I go to my Maker's house and spend time with him."

So the next day she took him there.  He was a gentle man, large and strong, and was busy working.  Jack initially hid, embarrassed from his stickers.  When he saw Jack he said, "So nice to see you.  I wondered when you would come to visit."

Jack spent some time with him and as he left, two grey dots tumbled to the floor.  It was the start of real change.

So first, thank you Max Lucado for that wonderful story and helping me play teacher read aloud with complete strangers and my mother, who faithfully reads this blog.  Bless you kind man.  And bless you mom for your support.

And second, this comes after a long discussion today with a friend on competitive parents, raising competitive children, in a cut throat society.  Have you experienced this?

Well a year ago we did a strange thing and pulled our oldest out of public school.  That was one large competitive field taken away.  Our curriculum is clearly our own path, doing what needs to be done, teaching our children what they need to learn.  No one outside of homeschooling even knows what to ask about us or how to comment.  My neighbor today did say that my kids seemed socially adapted even though they were homeschooled.   Hmm.  And guess what?  We have folks in our lives who don't even bring up the topic...either they disagree or have no clue what to ask.  I was like them once so I don't judge.

So when I hear parents competing, I don't get it.  We don't do competitive sports, except summer swim team which is fun focused, and I think is miraculous my daughter at 7 can do what I can't do at 34.  So yes we videoed every single meet and I just think she's awesome.  If she wins and if she doesn't- she has a working body God gave her and she is doing what she loves.  Winner winner chicken dinner.

And we have an allotted budget for special activities.  Because in our family, that's what they are- activities.  A place on our budget sheet (Dave Ramsey Woot Woot!)  to be filled with something they love.  Ways to experience the arts, science, movement, culture, etc.  (Now I'm speaking like I'm a REAL homeschool mama.  Lemme go grab my denim jumper and whisk my long locks over my shoulder!  Holla holla!!)  

Competing can come in so many forms- how a baby sleeps, eats, whether or not you have morning sickness in pregnancy (Side note- I threw up all nine months with both of mine.  Yes.  Nine months.  I once had a friend tell me it was mind over matter.  Then with her second pregnancy sick as a dog.  Perspective change.  That's it.)  I continue...what toys and gadgets your baby has, what preschool they go to, clothes they wear, whether or not they tinkle in the potty, then poopy, bed wetting, what elementary school they go to, how they perform, then comes competitive sports for many families...even a competitive archery travel team.  How cute.  Do you know that is an underutilized college scholarship for girls?  Who knew...I was educated recently.

My stickers are in a phase of just not sticking. At least now.  Maybe my kids will grow some major competitive skill and I will need to reconsider.  (And this I pray, dear Lord, that their skill take us to Hawaii.  I don't ask much, really.  Just somewhere tropical.  Amen.)  I am however, always looking for ways to develop their strengths and things they love.  We have experienced different things and stick with what they like.

I am on a different path than anyone in this world.  My children are different than any child in this world.  I make decisions for us based on our needs, wants, and loves.  And they don't include any other child.  

I don't entertain the thoughts and I just plain don't care.  I love competition.  (Race the clock, baby!) I think it is healthy.  I think it is necessary.  It has lots of life lessons.  They will and do face it.  But I pray my girls do it with a quiet soul, speak with strength, dignity, and with an unshakable confidence that can only come from spending time with their Maker.  Because only he really matters.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment